SMART Scholarship Program - Science and Engineering Students
The Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program is now accepting applications. SMART offers students pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields an opportunity to receive a full scholarship and guaranteed civilian employment with the Department of Defense upon degree completion. SMART offers students the chance to pursue their passion in STEM while supporting the mission of the Department of Defense (DoD).
The SMART application is open August through December of every year, with awards being granted the following spring. Review the below requirements to ensure you are eligible to apply for this life-changing opportunity.
All applicants must be:
- A citizen of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or United Kingdom at time of application,
- 18 years of age or older as of August 1, 2023
- requesting at least 1 year of degree funding prior to graduation (which starts at the program start date),
- able to complete at least one summer internship (multi-year scholars only)
- willing to accept post-graduation employment with the DoD,
- a student in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- pursuing a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the 21 STEM disciplines listed below,
- able to produce a fall 2022 college transcript from a regionally accredited US college or university, OR be pursuing a graduate degree at a regionally accredited US college or university.
Note: Active duty military members who wish to apply for the SMART Scholarship must be separated or on terminal leave on or before August 1, 2023 to be eligible. Reserve and National Guard members are eligible to apply. Current ROTC participants with a future service commitment are not eligible to apply.
Click the “Visit” button below to apply.