The Dayton Chapter of The Links, Incorporated
The Dayton Chapter of The Links, Incorporated was chartered on May 28, 1949, at the home of Mrs. Letitia D. Rose. Chartered as the tenth Links Club (chapter), the Dayton chapter held a unique position in Link history as one of the “first thirteen” — formed before The Links became a nationally recognized organization in June 1949.
In the early years, potential Links chapters were closely affiliated with the Philadelphia Club – intertwined through mutual friends and friends of friends. Consequently, the Dayton group was chartered by Link Katie Greene, a member of the Philadelphia Club, The Links’ first public relations officer, and personal friend of Dayton Chapter member, Link Letitia Rose. Like the Philadelphia Club, membership was limited to fourteen members. Charter members of the Dayton Chapter were: Melissa Bess, Beatrice Darnell, Viola Finley, Remintha Ford, Bessie Jones, Ruth Lewis, Cora Peters, Hortense Poindexter, Margaret Robinson, Letitia Rose, Ruth Smith, Lucie Taylor, Lyllian Taylor, Louise Wesley.
Once chartered, members of the Dayton Chapter continued the legacy — reaching out to friends and family across the country to expand the Links chain of friendship and community service. Between 1950 and 1951, the Dayton Chapter is credited with organizing the chartering of eight other Links chapters: Cincinnati, Columbus, Chicago (IL), Roanoke (VA), Detroit (MI), Charleston-Institute (WVA), Indianapolis (IN), and Louisville (KY). In 1955, the Dayton Chapter hosted the Central Area Assembly.
Through the years, the Dayton Chapter has continued to grow in size and expand its efforts to serve the Dayton community. Members are recognized for outstanding achievements and community involvement beyond the organization – including appointments to city/county/state boards, appointments as state officials, and recognitions by the city/county/state for outstanding service. Within The Dayton Chapter of The Links, Incorporated, members have been appointed and served in both area and national level positions. Two Dayton members have been elected and served as Central Area Directors: Link Laura Jones (1964-1966) and Link Marion Sweeney (1987-1991).
Dedicated to positive, impactful and productive projects which contribute to the educational, civic and intercultural growth of the Dayton community, the Dayton Chapter of The Links, Incorporated strives to improve the quality of life for the members of the Dayton community and to become the premier community service organization in the Greater Dayton area. We believe in the vision of our founders and in the power of friendship and service – “together we’ll succeed!”